Experiment No.: 6(A)
Implementation of Digital to Analog converter using trainer kit.
To design and study the digital to analog converter.
A digital-to-analog converter (DAC or D-to-A) is a device that converts a digital (usually binary) code to an analog signal (current, voltage, or electric charge). A typical DAC converts the abstract numbers into a concrete sequence of impulses that are then processed by a reconstruction filter using some form of interpolation to fill in data between the impulses.
There are two types D/A converter
- Weighted resistor D/A converter
- D/A converter with ladder N/W.
- WEIGHTED D/A CONVERTER:- The binary weighted resistor DAC uses an op- amp to sum n binary weighted currents from a reference voltage VR via current scaling resistor 2R, 4R, 8R, ……2nR. A weighted resistor DAC requires a wide range of resistor values for better resolution whereas a R-2R ladder type DAC requires only two values of resistor .
- D/A CONVERTER WITH LADDER N/W:- In this type reference voltage is applied to one of the switch position , and other switch position is connected to ground .The number of bits can be expanded by adding more sections of same R/2R values.
Procedure: Functional verification of a weighted resistor D/A converter.
- Make the connection as shown in circuit diagram.
- Connect the power supply to the board.
- Connect the logic switches to the corresponding jacks B0 – B3 of the converter.
- Set the switches S0 – S3 to logic level 0.
- Connect the Vref socket to +5 volts.
- Connect a multimeter as voltmeter for DC, to the output Vo of the converter.
- Switch the logic switches in binary progression & measure & record the output voltage in correspondence of every Combination of the input code.
|Sl. No.||S3||S2||S1||S0||VO (Volt)|
|Sl. No.||Name of the Apparatus||Specification||Quantity||Maker’s Name|
|1.||DAC Trainer Kit||230 V input||1||Excel|
|2.||Patch Cord||As required|
|3.||Digital Multimeter||0-750 V AC, 0-1000 V DC, 0-10 A||1||Akademika|
The DA converter is studied & observations are recorded in observation tables.
All the connections should be right and made according to connection diagram. Switched on the power supply after checking the connections. Reading should be taken carefully consciously.
1 thought on “Implementation of D/A Converter”
You need to be a part of a contest for one of the best blogs on the net. I will highly recommend this blog!